Fleets: 2010-2012

News and Announcements regarding Redial and related sites.

Fleets: 2010-2012

Postby Harbinger » July 14th, 2012, 11:22 pm

While this probably won't be a surprise to anyone who still visits this site, Fleets will be officially closing on July 20th, 2012. Per the front page:
We're sorry to announce that Fleets will be shutting down, effective July 20th.
Please direct any questions or concerns to business@metaspacestudios.com

Thank you to everyone who made this game possible!
Harbinger
Fountain of Knowledge

IRC Nickname(s): Harbinger, HarAFK

Re: Fleets: 2010-2012

Postby Andrew_tM » July 15th, 2012, 6:45 am

In before the "now bring back TDZK!" posts.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
- Albert Einstein
Andrew_tM
Barista

IRC Nickname(s): Andrew_tM

Postby Jerle » July 21st, 2012, 11:59 pm

I got a few by email on that already. I actually toss around the idea of open-sourcing the game now and then, but realistically I think the nostalgia > any staying power TDZK would really have. That, and I'd have to get Aelanna's buy-in and we haven't really discussed that much.

So, Fleets. ColdWizard posted this in another thread, but with Fleets we tried to bridge the gap between a strategy game and a social game - and ended up with something that didn't strongly appeal to either crowd. We were trying our best to make it work and learned a ton of lessons along the way, but a fundamental flaw like that is really hard to correct after launch and with the limited time and resources we had. We spent months trying to get it right and had some modest success, but the Horizon game line was so much more successful that we needed to focus most of our efforts there even though in our hearts we enjoy strategy games more.

In the end, even Horizon wasn't enough to save us. The games were profitable...but only just and certainly not to the point of sustaining the team full-time. We had to take other employment, and while we've still been working on the games part-time (mostly Horizon), the time has come to officially wind things down. Metaspace Studios is dissolving - and as part of that wind-down process we decided to close Fleets. Given a few IP concerns involving parties besides me and Aelanna, I doubt it will ever see the light of day again. RIP.
Jerle
Metaspace Admin

IRC Nickname(s): Jerle

Postby Andrew_tM » July 22nd, 2012, 6:41 am

Despite my earlier comment, it's something that I've given thought to now and again - particularly in light of the occasional resurrection campaigns that have sprung up. The problems are that it would require a large-scale overhaul to eliminate many of the existing flaws and problems before it got started - and that's before even trying to identify where the game direction is and what the market is for it, how you try and appeal to nostalgia and new players, and everything else involved.

I see it as a fun project for someone until they realise how much work is involved and back away. That was how it was for me on the most serious previous attempts, anyway.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
- Albert Einstein
Andrew_tM
Barista

IRC Nickname(s): Andrew_tM

Postby Solace » August 6th, 2012, 7:05 pm

TDZK aside, does Metaspace closing mean you're moving away from game development entirely?
Solace

Postby Harbinger » August 15th, 2012, 9:56 am

What it boils down to is that we've all grown up, and it's just come to that time where everyone - players and admins alike - have moved on. RIP TDZK/Fleets/Metaspace, you gave me many years of fun and a few lifetime friendships.
Harbinger
Fountain of Knowledge

IRC Nickname(s): Harbinger, HarAFK

Postby ColdWizard » August 15th, 2012, 11:23 am

Harbinger wrote:What it boils down to is that we've all grown up...

Have not!!!!
ColdWizard

IRC Nickname(s): ColdWizard

Postby todd10000 » August 23rd, 2012, 11:24 am

Sorry to hear about fleets, jerle.

I say re-jig tdzk to work in a graphical setting and code it like a balloooonss. I would play the everloving rainbowssss out of that game.
todd10000

IRC Nickname(s): todd10k

Postby Makaveli » August 26th, 2012, 11:54 am

I think the appeal for TDZK with me is now that I actually have a life outside of that damn game i'd be able to log in every other day and have turns...

And also, i'd still be the best in the world.
Makaveli

IRC Nickname(s): Makaveli

Postby Rycio » January 8th, 2013, 12:27 pm

In your escape pod :o

I remember my password!
Rycio

IRC Nickname(s): ZmZblows

Return to News